Saturday, 29 July 2017

Realm of Battle boards | Coming along nicely

Bristle brushes are noisy!
Sat in the shed this morning doing endless circular motions with a bristle brush (sorry neighbours). As I was not sure how effective the WD40 would be I only sprayed 3 boards to begin with and concentrated on cleaning up the two flattest. If nothing else the WD40 turned the snow blue and gluey, which means you do have to remove it, it looks rubbish. They look SO much better already!

On the last 3 I'm going with stiff bristle brush first, and maybe just that on it's own. I never fixed the snow in place so a LOT comes off really easily, and you get a patchy and realistic effect that's pretty well bonded to the board, and if I get paint onto those areas they just look like textured ground anyway.

Now that I've had a brew and a think I'm going for the repaint option, I've the 6 boards you can see below, plus the crashed Thunderhawk board from Forge World, it'll be to tricky to match across the lot so time to head over to B&Q and get them to make me a pot each of The Fang, Baneblade Brown and Mechanicus Standard Grey. Alos, the boards are way bluer than I'd like, clearly designed to have more snow on them than I am going to end up with so I'dd add in some random greys, browns, greens to stop it looking so unnatural.





Monday, 24 July 2017

Realm of Battle Board: hit the chaos black respray button

I went on the Realm of Battle Masterclass several years ago, opting to go with a winter theme. While the initial paint job was grand; undercoat black, basecoat with The Fang, heavy drybrush with Baneblade Brown and a slightly less heavy drybrush of Mechanicus Standard Grey. Final hit of a circling drybrush, very lightly with Ceramite White. Boards looked fab and I couldn't have been happier.

My gut instinct was to ignore the next stage, take these back home and do the drifting snow effect back home, but with almost the whole afternoon left it was daub some pva glue onto the great looking boards and dump into a ready made foamex box. Sprinkled liberally with snow, you've no need to imagine how crap they ended up as there are plenty of photos below... always trust your gut instinct

I had a go at improving these last summer, why I feel the need to work on snowscapes in the middle of a heatwave, I know not? Then, I used a butter knife to get under the worst of the "mini hills" of glue and got a rough (NOT wire) scourer to get the worst of the snow off. The hills (images 1 and 2) have had this treatment, ok it knocked back the winter wonderland look, but still not enough. On image 13 you can see the gouge marks where I've gotten under the pva. Thoroughly disheartened, it's back in the bag they go.

Fed up with the finished look of these, I finally decided this weekend, enough is enough, and a quick tour of Google et al gave me the info I needed, spray WD40 onto the boards. This dissolves the glue and you can scrape what's left off and be back at the painted boards. That's the plan and I'll update you in a few days with how these turned out, but the plan is to remove all the snow and repaint if necessary, hopefully not. I'll sprinkle the scenic snow from above, to mimic nature, not sure yet but a straw or hairdryer to form the drifts. Watered down pva sprayed on to lock it all in place and I should end up with a rocky terrain with a light drifting snowfall, lots of drifts to the hills and snow in the cracks on the 'paths'. We'll see...

Below are the boards before I went into the garden and liberally coated them in WD40, results to follow.


















Monday, 3 July 2017

Primaris Black Templars – so close to done...

I've never got so many painted so fast, well, fast for me. Guess these took about 2 weeks, so 3 – 4 nights a week, 2-3 hours a night. 24 hours to get this far. 

Another night of finessing to tidy up the eyes and any overspill, quick drybrush and edge the bases, and I should be sorted. Liking the fast paint job. Bleached bone instead of white, dark reaper drybrush over black, with a nuln oil (gloss) over the top. This should all flatten down nicely with a coat of satin, and I think I'll revisit my existing Templars and give them the same treatment (one day). I've another another batch of Primaris to paint as Charcharodons, looking forward to finding an equally fast way to paint those which should keep me busy through July.